Week 1 of Technology in the Classroom

Website 1: www.pbworks.com/education

What did I learn?

This is a giant, FREE discussion board centered on teachers and their students.  You can publish class notes, PowerPoint lectures, schedules and policies, and show off examples of great student work.  You can create group Projects - Build collaborative pages, start discussions and encourage comments.
You can use it as a Parent Outreach - Keep parents involved. Post assignments, key dates and volunteer lists. All available at home, from work, or anywhere. Students are able to create Student Portfolios - Give students their own page to post content, upload homework, and share their work.  You can expand Horizons - Share and interact with other classrooms or groups, across town or around the world.

How can I use this in my classes?

I was thinking of using Facebook like this since students are on it all the time anyway.  Facebook wouldn’t allow the organized collection of student work to create a portfolio like PBWorks does.  This is a great resource to communicate with students and parents outside the classroom.  Sick students would have an easier time catching up.  Parents could stay involved easier.

Do I recommend it? 

I would totally recommend it.  It’s organized.  It links students, educators, and parents no matter where they are geographically.  It’s FREE.  You can pay more to do more.  The potential is unlimited.

Website 2: www.tumblerbooks.com
What did I learn? 
 This website has free ebooks for all ages, animated pictures books, the ability to add notes to readings, and audiobooks.  You can also adjust font size and background color for your ebook.  These ebooks are accessible from any device that can connect to the internet.

How can I use this in my classes?

You can use this when you assign reading from a non-textbook source.  I had this several times in high school and college.  In my case, I purchased paperback books.  Students can use this to access reference material.  No more waiting for a book to come back to the library!

Do I recommend it? 

Yes, it's free people!  Some people do not enjoy reading.  (My mother hated it.)  Having books online, for free, may encourage parents and students to read together.  Students might be more apt to read a book on their phone b/c it’s convenient.  I love paper books but that’s my personal preference.

Website 3: http://www.liberty.k12.mo.us/~elanghorst/
What did I learn?
This junior high history teacher used the schools website to post a webpage for his class.  He stated that he hopes the webpage will "help you succeed in my class. I believe that learning takes place anywhere and at anytime. If you miss our class I hope these resources help you catch up."  He has put a folder on there that students can use to turn in assignments.  He has a sections for parents with all his contact information and what the class is doing.  He adds a personal touch by posting pictures and videos of his students.

How I use this in my classes?
This is an actual webpage as opposed to a blog or discussion board but serves the same purpose as the PBworks idea.  This is a good idea to represent a sole instructor.

Do I recommend it?
It's free to use but I imagine it's moderated by the school.  The page itself is large with its multiple links, graphics, videos and ability to upload.  If it is free and comes with its own tech support, absolutely I like it!  If you want to be the sole operator/webmaster, then I don't recommend it for you.  It's also possible that the school website may have restrictions on what you can post.  It's also relying on the school's server.  We are still serving the idea of communication between parents, educators, and students.

Comments

Popular Posts