Week 4 Making Your Own Slide Shows, Comics, Movies, and Gathering Inspiration



Week 4 Blog

I created a power point presentation to define what human life is and when human life "is."  It is important that my students understand that they are more than just a physiological process of cell replication.





1. What was the presentation about and to whom did you present it? My presentation was on how human life begins.  I presented it to my teenage brother and his girlfriend.



2. Of which item in your presentation are you the most proud?  My patriotic mood that I created with my picture of the Monument to Our Forefathers, an excerpt from the Constitution, a picture of two marines, and a song about war.  Some of my slides went with the timing of song really well.  Most of that was by accident.



3. What might you do differently if you could create the presentation again?  Pick different test subjects and an edited song



4. How did your students respond to the presentation?


Websites that I visited this week:

Watching these videos would be a great way to begin class and/or start conversations.  TED is a collection of speeches from SME.  These speeches are all designed to inspire others.



The site sells software to allow you to create comic book pages.  It’s about $20 for the base model software.  A teacher can get a license for the software and return to the site for regular updates.  It’s available for Macs and PCs.

I looked at this site and thought, “This is cool.  How is it helpful?”  The site answers that as well.  The authors hope to engage the uninterested reader, the beginning reader, the ESL student, and the struggling writer.  The uninterested reader is someone who does not like reading.  Creating comics appeals to them.  The text is as complex as they want it to be.  The student has to create a story line, understand plot, and relay setting.  They are able to tell their stories without writing a novel.  Comic Life hopes to help young students and struggling students learn to read.  Comic Life also wants to reach the English-as-a-second-language student.  Comics can teach a small English lesson with each page.

I would love to use this in my classroom.  Science jokes are hilarious but often the humor goes unappreciated.  It’s also a form of desktop publishing.
I do recommend this software even at $20 for basic software.



You can use iSpeech to convert text to speech, convert documents to speech, convert web content to speech, or convert blogs to speech.  For personal use, iSpeech's simple online text to speech software tool supports over 20 languages.  Developers can take advantage of iSpeech's free text to speech (TTS) SDKs for major mobile platforms.  Human quality TTS is available for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry.  iSpeech SDKs are tested for rock-solid results with our iSpeech Cloud.  With the free membership you can create one-minute long files using non-commercial voices.  You can create as many as you want.  If you pay to upgrade, you can create an unlimited number of 30 minute files.  If you upgrade to the max, then you can create an unlimited number of files up to 12 hours long (per file.)  I tried to add a podcast of my blog to my blog and I couldn’t get it to work.  If you can get this to work, then it could be a useful tool.  You can create mini-lessons for students.  They could access them from anywhere.  You can create a to-do list and listen to it.  This is helpful for me.  I am notorious for forgetting a stop when I’m running errands.
I recommend it if you can get it to work.  I definitely recommend something of this nature to accommodate any learning or physical disabilities.



With VoiceThread, group conversations are collected and shared in one place from anywhere in the world. All with no software to install. A VoiceThread is a collaborative, multimedia slide show that holds images, documents, and videos and allows people to navigate slides and leave comments in 5 ways - using voice through a Facebook Fan Page (with a mic or telephone), text, audio file, or video (via a webcam).  Share a VoiceThread with friends, students, and colleagues for them to record comments too.  Users can doodle while commenting, use multiple identities, and pick which comments are shown through moderation.  VoiceThreads can even be embedded to show and receive comments on other websites and exported to MP3 players or DVDs to play as archival movies.VoiceThread.com software costs one educator $80/year or $15/monthly.  If more than one educator wants a license, then you will need a school license starting at $450.00 for a year.

The VoiceThread Wiki page gave several educational examples.  I will share the few that I liked.  The first was uploading a picture to start a discussion.  You post the picture and have the class leave comments about how they think that object came to be.  The second example that I liked was posting a review forum.  You would dedicate a page to the discussion of what students enjoyed and/or disliked during a lesson/unit.  Kids are usually brutally honest.  The third idea that I liked was uploading examples of student work.  I really liked the idea of contrasting great pieces with mediocre pieces using teacher comments.

Do I recommend it?  From what I understand, yes.  I liked Voice Thread because it is user friendly.  You only need an updated Adobe Flash player to use it.  It is versatile.  VT allows you to upload multiple forms of multimedia and allows users to interact with the content and each other.  This type of software is accessible from any computer and from Apple devices.  Anything that encourages parents to look at and talk about their students’ work gets my approval.  I am not a fan of paying for anything, however.  If you still want these types of features for free, I recommend using wikispaces.com or webquest.org.



          Storybird- I love it.  Storybird collects pictures and illustrations from artists all around the world.  Then users piece together those pictures and write a story.  It is free.  The site has stories for all age groups.

          The whole concept makes me think of Tyler DeWitt’s video from TED called “Hey Science Teachers!  Make it fun!”  He says that he uses storytelling and analogies to explain science concepts.  He gets positive feedback from his student audience.  In his video, he draws and narrates a story of a “happy bacterium” that is sacrificed in the name of viral replication.  I could definitely do the same thing!  My students could use this same concept for a presentation.

          I recommend this site for its creative uses and user friendliness.  It is also free.  Storytelling has always been a powerful way to convey knowledge.  This site empowers people who may not know that they are capable of writing a book.  You don’t need a contract with a publishing company to become a famous author.



     A free interactive online whiteboard.  Essentially, it's a public version of Elluminate. I read the testimonialsI concluded that there were other sites that could do the same thing.  Apparently, Scribblar is the most user-friendly and free.  I read comments from teachers around the world from grade school to college, business managers, book club members, and playwrights.  Obviously, the uses are limitless.  While going through the tutorial, I saw that you could type on the whiteboard and in the chatroom in several different languages.
 
So how can I use this?  I can use Scribblar to meet with students to help with homework, to study for a test, or to follow up with student that missed class.  I could also use this medium to work with parents and students if the parents are concerned about their students' performance and visa versa.  I could set up assignment drop boxes, like another user mentioned.  I can facilitate collaboration among my classes.  I can set up quizzes on here.

I really liked the positive reviews.  I would definitely recommend this to others and for my own use.  I like the versatility and security.  The other users really inspired me with their creative employment of this tool.




Xtranormal - http://www.xtranormal.com/


Mine: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/14308843/boots

Here is a movie that I saw using the Xtranormal site.  It is very well done.  I tried to replicate it as much as I could.  The Xtranormal site allows you to make what I call Lego man animated movies.  You are able to pick settings, characters, and voices.  Then you use text to speech software to give the characters dialogue. 

I can see multiple uses for this in my classroom.  Essentially, every movie is a moving book.  With Storybird, you have still shots.  With Xtranormal, you have an animated story.  I can use this to convey science in a humorous way.  Students can use this for presentations.  I can create, view, and grade assignments.  Instead of quizzes, students can create videos about what they have learned.

The basic membership is free.  You can pay more to do more.  The educator accounts are $10/month and are automatically re-charged each month.  Once you have an educator account, you can set up student accounts for 50¢/account.  I don’t recommend buying an account simply because the costs can get out of hand.  I suggest having students make their own basic accounts.  Then, you can have the student publish their videos and send you the URL.


VirtualManipulatives: http://nlvm.usu.edu

          “The National Library of Virtual Manipulatives (NLVM) is an NSF supported project that began in 1999 to develop a library of uniquely interactive, web-based virtual manipulatives or concept tutorials, mostly in the form of Java applets, for mathematics instruction (K-12 emphasis).”  That was a direct quote from the site.  Simply, it is a place where you can play math games.  The games are interactive and reinforce math concepts.  The user sees instant results from their input.

          I can use this to help students’ math skills.  There are some math skills in science.  I would just have to figure out how to make my needs fit.  It’s free and fun and geared for all age groups. 

Comments

Popular Posts